The age-old battle of the sexes had pulled me into its grasp. There I was running across the dirty cement playground at my elementary school, as the familiar chant rolled off my tongue, as smooth as a football off Aaron Rogers fingertips, “Whatever boys can do girls can do better!” I emphasized my words, with the cunning actions of a seven year old, and stuck my tongue out at a group of boys. I said that phrase so much I think I started believing it.
Fast forward, now to the present, I have grown up a bit from that childish playground rouse. I have stopped believing there is any truth to that phrase and instead, now believe each sex has strengths the other sex does not have. For example, overall, men are better at sports. They are stronger and because of that strength they are better protectors. They are better at home and car repairs. They tend to be better at letting things go. However, the one thing they can do, that no woman will ever be able to, is to be a Dad.
Dad’s tend to be underappreciated at times and might not know how influential they are in their child’s life. However, studies show that an involved Dad has an incredible influence in the life of their child.
Here is what the statistics say. Children with involved fathers have higher I.Q.’s, better language and thinking skills. Children with involved fathers are 33% less likely to repeat a grade and 43% more likely to earn A’s. Children with actively involved fathers are more likely to display self-control and can handle aggression better. These children have less emotional problems and are less likely to experience depression, commit crimes, commit suicide, or become pregnant in the teen years. Fathers, profoundly influence their children by simply being a good husband. “A father who has a good relationship with the mother of their children is more likely to be involved and to spend time with their children and to have children who are psychologically and emotionally healthier (http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/fatherhood/chaptertwo.cfm).” Children with fathers, who love their moms, are less anxious, withdrawn or antisocial. Children without a father in the home are 92% more likely to divorce later in life (http://www.dadsworld.com/parenting-statistics/importance-of-fathers.html).
So what I am saying is, “Here’s to Dads”. Here’s to my Dad. Here’s to my kid’s Dad, my amazing husband. Here’s to you, the Dad who goes to the store, fixes bikes, does homework, changes diapers, throws baseballs, and changes tires. Here’s to you, the Dad who sacrifices the fun stuff in order to be responsible, work hard and provide good things for your family. Here’s to you, the Dad who is committed to making good choices, and loving your wife and children even when it is hard. Here’s to you, the Dad who is an advocate for your kids, who stands up and is not afraid to jump into the lives of your children and get your hands dirty. You Dads make the world better, and are raising children who will also make future generations great. So, in case I have not said it clearly, here’s to the Dads who do the things that no girl can ever do better!
Happy Father’s Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment