"I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kids." - Unknown

Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 36

Day 36: Rockets

I have to give credit to my friend Stacey for this one. She did this experiment at her sons birthday, then showed me, and it was a huge hit with my kids. I am not sure where she found the idea but it is a fun one. Grab some old film canisters. Then fill them 3/4 with water add to the water half a piece of Alka Seltzer. Quickly put the top on the canister and lay it, lid side down, on the driveway or sidewalk. Then step back several feet. Watch the canister shoot to the sky!

I have done these several times and they are very safe. Just make sure you stand back. They usually take a minute or two to shoot off after you have place them on the ground. Just use caution and have fun.

While I was looking for info on building rockets I found this scientific web site. Looked like a lot of fun for kids of all ages. I like that the experiments are separated into two age group categories (and there are no advertisements kids can accidently click on). If your kids are feeling bored some of these experiments may be fun to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment