"I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kids." - Unknown

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Survival Tips for having Company


In just five short days my house will be brimming with laughter, fun and complete chaos, as my parents and six of my siblings come to visit.  The house will be filled with 5 adults, 2 teenagers and 6 kids under the age of 10. The kids are so excited to get to play with all their Aunts and Uncles, Grandma and Grandpa. Me? Well, I am excited and currently a bit stressed. That is a lot of people to feed and entertain. Summer is a time for friends and family and if you are planning on having some company come to your place I am sure you are wondering how you are going to make sure everyone is comfortable and has fun too.

Here are a few tips I am trying. Maybe they can help you survive and enjoy your company too.

1.     Start by praying. I pray that everyone has fun and gets along. That things go smoothly and what doesn’t go smoothly can either be a great memory or easily fixed.

2.     Have a flexible plan. I am a planner so this tip might drive some of you non-planners crazy. I have an activity and dinner meals all written out for each day. Before company arrives ask them what they would like to do. Flexibility is key, if you don’t do everything on your list that is fine, don’t force it. If everyone is having fun doing something else go with that.

3.     Meal Time- Going out to eat is just part of having company but it can break the bank quick. Have some meals planned out. If you are going to be out of the house use your crockpot. Then after your outing your meal is waiting for you. While planning meals remember to ask your guests about food allergies, likes and dislikes. I have a sibling who loves oatmeal so I need to make sure I stock up on that. Finally, purchase paper products. I know it isn’t environmental friendly but for that week or two who wants to waste time doing dishes?

4.     Make them Comfortable. Make sure guests have easy access to towels and toiletries. Also make sure their beds are made with clean sheet before they arrive so they feel welcome.

5.     Relax. Don’t spend all your time running around doing. Spend some time sitting, talking and enjoying your friends and family.

6.     If all else fails lock yourself  in a closet with a bottle of wine and don’t come out until they are gone. Just kidding, don’t do that, well unless you really have too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment