"I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kids." - Unknown

Friday, September 23, 2011

Salmon Spawn

I don't know a lot about fishing, but this summer it was one of the activities our family participated in. In fact this summer both my kids caught their first fish (see photos)! As the hobby progressed we talked to other people who also enjoyed fishing and through word of mouth found out that Causey Reservoir has a Cochone Salmon spawn in the fall! Who knew? I thought that was just something that happened along the Pacific.

Anyway, last weekend some friends invited us to go canoeing to go see the Salmon. Sadly enough the canoe was only big enough for the two Dad's and three kids so I wasn't able to go (I went hiking instead).  But the kids had a ton of fun. The Salmon are bright red and all over the place. My seven year old caught two fish with just her bare hands. They canoed and then pulled off by a small shallow stream that connected to the reservoir and were able to wade in the water with the fish. They had a blast!

So why am I telling you this? Because it is a great relaxing family activity. The mountains and water are just beautiful and the trees are beginning to change color. If you can't canoe you can hike along the Reservoir and I have heard you can see the red fish swimming in the water from up above. So grab a canoe or kayak (or rent one), some life vests and get out 'n about, it is going to be a beautiful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment