"I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kids." - Unknown

Sunday, September 25, 2011

When Little Ones Ask Big Questions

"Can God see you when you go to the bathroom?" my five-year-old son inquisitively whispered in my ear as we lounged on the couch.  I was completely taken off guard by such a strange question! Then in the matter of about half a second I had several thoughts race through my head in an effort to figure out why he was asking. Was it because he thought it was gross to have God watch him go to the bathroom? Or was it because I say, "God watches over us everywhere we go"? Or was it because he liked the idea of God watching him because he gets scared being alone, and had only moments before, crammed the two dogs in the bathroom with him so he had company while he did his business? Yes, it had to be because he was scared and wanted God to be watching over him. “Yes”, I answered. 


I immediately knew I had guessed wrong from his crinkled up nose and look of disgust “He does, he watches you?” Backtracking I responded, “Well, no, he doesn't stare at you". And as a good mother, that is the confused state I left my son in. Right now he doesn’t know if God is a voyeur or a protector. Ahh, sometimes the questions kids ask about God are a little tricky for parent to handle.



Although the question my son asked isn’t going to make or break his faith some questions my kids ask require a better answer. So here are a few ideas that I  have used to try and answer the big questions my kids ask. 
  • MEMORIZE VERSES- I have worked on this since my kids were little. Having a verse fresh in their mind can help answer some of their deep questions. If you as the parent are also memorizing the verse you can use it to help with many teaching moments. “Why do we have to obey Mom and Dad?”, they might ask.  “Because the Bibles says, ‘Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right’.” Memorizing is not easy for me but I take a few minutes in the car each day to read a verse to the kids and talk about it. So in just 5 minutes a day they have the verse memorized in just a few days, they are sponges! You can pick your own verses or I like to use Desiring God’s foundation verses. They also have Fighter verses for older kids and adults. If you think you child just can't do it. Check out this video for inspiration. 
  • KEEP IT SIMPLE- Sometimes when my kids ask a question I go into along theological dissertation that leaves them staring blankly at me. All they want is something simple they understand. Keep your answer at their level. Remember an older child might be able to have more detail in their response then a 2 year old. 
  • I DON’T KNOW- don’t be afraid to say, “I don’t know”. If you can’t answer your child’s question tell them you will find out for them. Then check your Bible or talk to a friend, or Sunday school teacher to find the answer. Your child will see that you believe it is important to answer their spiritual questions.
  •  PARENTS KEEP LEARNING- Parents I encourage you to read your Bible, go to church on Sunday because the more you learn the better prepared you will be to answer the tough questions. Also pray that you will have the right words to influence your child’s heart for God.
I hope these tips help. Don't be hard on yourself if you get the answer wrong, like I did with my son. They will keep asking and sometimes you will get it right.  The other day my daughter asked, “How do we know what God says when we can’t see Him”. So I told her the Bible was his letter to us. That answer did not satisfy her. So I explained it in her terms. I said, “ When I (Mommy) am in my bedroom with the door shut you can’t see me? Right?  But if I yell “Clean Your Room” you know I am there saying something and talking to you, even though you can’t see me. It is the same with God. You can’t see him but the Bible is Him talking to you”. That was the right answer, I saw the light bulb go on in her head and she understood. Yay, Mom! The big questions are tough but with God's help and a little effort we, as parents, can help answer some of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment