If you have never tried homemade applesauce I would recommend giving it a try because, well, it is just better made fresh. My grandma's applesauce was always my favorite so today I tried to copy it. I didn't quite get it perfect but I came close and hopefully close enough that my kids will say, "My mom's applesauce is my favorite".
If you want to give applesauce a try here is the recipe I used. I did modify a few things. I used regular cinnamon because I didn't have a stick of it. I also used half a cup water and half a cup cranberry juice for extra flavor. I also put the sauce through a food mill because I do not own a potato masher. I think the potato masher would be easier and a bit more rustic for homemade sauce. When I was done I put the sauce into cupcake tins and froze it so the kids would have portion sizes for school snacks. Enjoy!(For those of you following my 30 day challenge, I did eat some of this. Is that cheating? Is applesauce a dessert?)
Homemade Applesauce
from Simply Recipes
3-4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples. (use a good cooking apple: Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonathan, Mcintosh, or Gravenstein.)
4 strips of lemon peel
lemon, juice of (3-4 tbsps)
3-inch cinnamon stick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar (approximately – depending on how sweet you want it and how sweet the apples are)
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
4 strips of lemon peel
lemon, juice of (3-4 tbsps)
3-inch cinnamon stick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar (approximately – depending on how sweet you want it and how sweet the apples are)
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
Place everything in a large pot (one large enough to hold all of the apple quarters… ahem) over high heat. Cover the pot and let the contents come to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 20-30 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the cinnamon sticks and lemon peels before mashing the apples with a potato masher. I prefer mine to be chunky, so I don’t go crazy mashing the apples. Serve hot or cold.
My vote is not cheating; apple sauce isn't a dessert, falls in line with oatmeal cookies - too much healthy stuff as the base. (And I don't think I'd turn to either of those when needing a "treat". However, maybe I should...)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure your applesauce was delicious! Riley and I made homemade apple sauce a few years ago, and it was tasty! You inspire me Sunny!
Thanks Stacey! For all your comments and encouragement.
ReplyDelete